Here at Whartons Lake Garage in Frodsham, Cheshire we are an approved MOT Test Centre offering MOT preparation and MOT testing at affordable prices to customers in Frodsham and the surrounding areas of Kingsley, Runcorn, Warrington, Widnes, Ellesmere Port, Tarporley, Chester and beyond.
The MOT Test
You must keep any vehicles driven on the road in a roadworthy condition. The MOT test checks that your vehicle meets road safety and environmental standards. It isn't the same as having your vehicle serviced and doesn't check its general mechanical condition.
When to Test
You must get an MOT test every year once your vehicle is 3 years old (or 1 year old in some cases). You can then renew your MOT up to a month before it expires. The earliest date you can get your vehicle tested is printed on the pass certificate.
Components to be inspected
- Body / Vehicle Structure / General Items: Free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas. No sharp edges likely to cause injury. Towbars for security / condition / inappropriate repairs or modification. Correct operation of 13 pin electrical socket. Speedometer condition and operation. Engine mountings.
- Fuel System: No leaks. Security and condition of pipes / hoses. Fuel cap fastens and seals securely. Note the fuel cap will need to be opened. Make sure the key is available.
- Exhaust Emissions: Vehicle meets the requirements for exhaust emissions, dependent on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.
- Exhaust System: Secure. Complete. Catalyst missing where one was fitted as standard. Without serious leaks and is not too noisy.
- Seat Belts: All the seat belts fitted are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All mandatory seat belts must be in place. Check of the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) for air bags and seat belt pre tensioners.
- Seats: Drivers seat for adjustment. All seats for security and seat backs can be secured in the upright position.
- Doors: Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors should open from outside the vehicle. Hinges and catches for security and condition.
- Mirrors: Minimum number required, condition and security.
- Load Security: Boot or tailgate can be secured in the closed position.
- Brakes: Condition including inappropriate repairs or modifications, operation and performance (efficiency test). Note the removal of the road wheels and trims are not part of the test. ABS or electronic stability control (ESC) where fitted. Check of the MIL for ABS, electronic stability control, electronic park brake and brake fluid warning.
- Tyres and Wheels: Condition, security, tyre size/type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected. Note: vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 - check of the MIL for tyre pressure monitoring.
- Registration Plates: Condition, security, colour, characters correctly formed and spaced.
- Lights: Condition, operation including HID and LED headlamps for cleaning, self leveling and security. Headlamp aim. Main beam warning light.
- Bonnet: Securely latches in the closed position.
- Wipers/ Washers: Operate to give the driver a clear view ahead
- Windscreen: Condition and driver's view of the road.
- Horn: Correct operation and of suitable type.
- Steering and Suspension: Condition, steering oil level, operation, a check for inappropriate repairs or modification including corrosion to power steering pipes or hoses. Operation of steering lock mechanism. Check of the MIL for electronic power steering and steering lock.
- Vehicle Identification Number: Present on vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1980. Not more than one different VIN is displayed except on multistage build vehicles.
- Electrical: Visible electrical wiring and battery.
An MOT certificate confirms that at the time of the test, without dismantling, the vehicle met the minimum acceptable environmental and road safety standards required by law. It does not mean that the vehicle is roadworthy for the life of the certificate. The test does not cover the condition of the engine, clutch or gearbox.
Contact Us now on 01928 788 680 to book your car in for it's annual MOT test.